Ever had an epiphany on the side of a mountain? or better blog writing 101
Ok so Ive just spent the last few days at a retreat in Cinque Terre, Italy learning how to be a write more, write more often and basically how to nail better blog writing. (is the jury still out?)
To be honest at first it was kinda of an excuse to go away for a few days and see parts of the world I haven’t seen before….btw it’s totally beautiful and inspiring and I met some truly amazing people whilst there. Since it is ridiculously hilly and hot I got up super early yesterday to get to the castle where the retreat was being held .. yes castle ……so I could actually dry off all the sweat before we started! TMI I know!
I don’t know about you but I seem to have a mental block when writing… I add it to my to do list for the week ( its important you know to have regular content for SEO and just getting out there 😀) and I just don’t seem to do it. I’ve tried numerous things,
- get someone else to write for me ( its never quite right)
- write a load of blogs all in one go and
- ignoring it altogether – no one will notice … literally of course….. ( not the best idea to be honest).
Anyhow one of the things that Laura Belgray aka Talking Shrimp said throughout the few days was just write and the more you write the more you will want to and be inspired to write. It kinda becomes a habit I think. If you are blocked on what to write then just start writing on something else and it will come. Write on anything – a memory from childhood, your previous day journal, somewhere you have been.. a mini script for your favourite TV show…(btw any crap American teen drama is a guilty pleasure… and yes I know I am too old!)
So there I was sat on a hillside with nothing to do for an hour and for the first time ever I thought I know ill write a blog…..( this blog actually). It was like an epiphany. I actually wanted to write…..I’ve spent the last few days writing – sometimes creative writing and sometimes crafting tagline, emails and blog titles. To be honest its been a struggle at times. I actually wanted to write – not because I had to, not because I hadn’t done so for weeks, but because I actually wanted to. YEAH! its working .
So after 3 days of writing every day….here are my top tips for how to write more often even if you really don’t want to.
1) Just write… set aside 15 mins a day and write on anything if you don’t know what to write about for your business or blog. I am telling you the inspiration will come to you pretty quickly. Try a site like 750words.com and that way you commit to a certain amount of writing daily – and it will remind you!
2) Be free of distractions – we have no internet at the workshop location .. BEST THING EVER…. because you can’t get distracted by email or dog videos on Facebook. If needed switch off all distractions using an app like Offtime to turn off your phone and browser or look at chrome extensions like Stay Focussed whilst you write.
3) Don’t seek perfection – seek consistency. Ok you want the blog to be good and to resonate with your readers but you also don’t want perfection paralysis.
4) Check out some pretty useful resources for inspiration as to what your audience might be interested in then this is an site that I am frankly obsessed with http://answerthepublic.com/
5) And finally if you are still having no luck then think about something amazing you have done or a thing no one knows about you and write about it – there is always a lesson or something that can relate to what you are thinking about that your audience will be interested in – and above all else it shows your human.. and interesting, and it will set you apart from faceless corporations.
If you need more tips about what to write then check out this blog post for more inspiration